Our skills and experience can path the way to helping you start a business, deal with finance agreements, draw up and agree contracts, buy and sell a business or put shareholder and partnership agreements in place.
We can also ensure your copyright or intellectual property rights are protected. At the opposite end of the scale we can supply debt recovery services or deal with insolvency issues.
- Business start-up
Setting up your own business can be the most exciting and satisfying decision you ever make. But while the potential rewards can be enormous, so can the risks. We can ensure you receive help and advice to provide a sound platform to start your business venture.
During the initial discussion or meeting we can help you decide if you should operate as a sole trader, form a partnership or form a limited company or a limited liability partnership. We can also examine if more recent alternatives such as self-employed agencies or franchising, provide better scope. Whatever your plans, our service is designed to help make your venture a success.
- Finance agreements
- We can help you with advice on financing and acquiring premises (where required). In addition, we can assist with drawing up and preparing your business plan, so you obtain the financial support you need to secure the start-up funds for your business proposition.
If your business is to be fully protected in the event of a dispute it is essential that you get professionally drafted contracts, or standard terms of business, drawn up. Written contracts enable you to have an exact record of what you will provide as a service or goods for customers. It should also encompass related matters, such as the method and timing of payments due.
We can draft contracts and terms of business to ensure your business is protected at outset.
- Buying and selling businesses
- Businesses evolve and change all the time, while new opportunities arise for diversifying, changing or even selling the type of business you are involved in. Irrespective of whether you wish to buy or sell a business, We can guide you through the stages and requirements to provide a smooth passage; ensuring no surprises or liabilities emerge in the future.
- Shareholder, member and partnership agreements
If your business is to operate as a limited company whether by shares or by guarantee you must appoint a minimum of two officers, at least one of whom must be appointed Director, although both can be appointed Directors and one of the officers must act as the company secretary. The company secretary is responsible for ensuring that all legal obligations are met and in many cases, the individual concerned has to rely heavily on the expertise of others to provide guidance on their duties and responsibilities.
We can help you to set up your limited company, appoint the directors and obtain the Certificate of Incorporation for a Private Limited Company and Memorandum and Articles of Association required to commence trading. We can also provide a critical reference point for guidance on the duties and responsibilities of Directors and Officers of the company.
If your business is a partnership you should ensure a formal Partnership Deed is drawn up to reflect the terms agreed between yourself and the other partners. It is important to remember that if a deed is not in place, the partnership may need to be dissolved in the event of a dispute; you may also face difficulties and potential court action to get rid of a disruptive partner.
There are various issues to consider at outset, for example: who the partners are, the division of shares and how profits (and losses) are shared. Advice during this stage is vital and the Partnership Deed should also be reviewed periodically, to take account of any changes within the partnership, e.g. the inclusion of new partners.
- Copyright and intellectual property rights
Copyright gives the creators of specific types of items the right to decide how it is used. Any kind of intellectual property, such as original literature, documents, typographic or published editions of work, sound recordings (such as CDs) and films (including VCRs and DVDs) are classed as being protected by copyright.
If these are key to the success of your business, it is vital you protect your rights in the event that a competitor or other source uses it, or adapts it for their own purposes. We can provide advice on your rights and the scope for pursuing legal means to apply your copyright and prevent ongoing use of the item concerned.
- Debt recovery services
- We can help your business maintain cash flow by providing debt recovery services and pursuing debtors on your behalf. From recovering a single debt to dealing with all your debt recovery work we aim to recover unpaid debts quickly and cost-effectively, but always with a view to protecting the business relationship between clients and their debtors.
We help business clients faced with severe financial difficulties. The complex laws surrounding the issues of receivership, bankruptcy, liquidation, administration, winding up and the disqualification of directors, requires professional advice to ensure the process runs as smoothly as possible.
We can recommend the best course of action to deal with bankruptcy, individual or company voluntary arrangements, administration orders and winding up petitions.